Instagram Ghost Followers
While not many Instagram users may be aware of the term “ghost” followers, it seems to be fairly popular among those who know the ins and outs of Instagram marketing, regardless of whether they use it themselves or not.
Simply put, ghost followers are usually those accounts that are created solely for the purpose of following other users. They do not actively engage in any user activities, including liking or sharing the posts of the users they follow.
Ghost followers may also include those users who make an account and follow some users, but do not engage in any other user activities. However, most ghost followers are created by bots that use multiple proxies for mass account creation.
Buying Instagram Followers
Buying social media ghost followers has apparently turned into a multi-million dollar business, with a surprisingly large number of users, including many celebrities, corporations, politicians and even some governments buying fake followers to inflate their follower count and appear more popular.
However, buying fake followers is far from being an overall effective technique, as it does seem to be coming with many drawbacks as well. One of them is that if it gets exposed, the account may end up losing its credibility, leading to getting unfollowed by a large number of its real followers – especially if it’s a popular account.
More importantly, however, there are times when Instagram cracks down on such accounts (the ones that buy ghost followers), and either bans them or imposes several limits to restrict their account activities to a certain extent.
Hence, buying ghost followers may turn out to be a huge risk, especially for established accounts with a huge follower base.
Removing Ghost Followers from Your Account
As noted above, having a lot of ghost followers on your account may land you in trouble. However, as it isn’t something completely within your control, you may want to learn how to remove ghost followers from your account.
Now, while removing followers isn’t really possible right now, simply blocking them is a close enough solution. Here’s the step-by-step process of how to go about blocking ghost accounts:
- Go to your profile – here you will see the number of your posts, followers, and the people you’re following
- You need to open your followers list
- You would then see all your followers, and would manually need to select the accounts you want to block (you can open them in separate tabs to speed up the process)
- You would see three dots on the top right of their accounts, and on clicking on it, you would see the option to block them
- Once you click on “Block user”, you will be asked for a confirmation, and you need to click on the “Yes, I’m sure” option
- However, you won’t be able to see the changes right away, but only on restarting the app
- This process may be made more efficient and less time consuming by using some third-party apps, though they may not always be reliable enough
Now, you may also want to know how to distinguish ghost followers from real ones, in order to avoid ending up blocking your real followers. Some of the things that may go a long way in helping you do this include:
- Ghost followers usually have incomplete profiles – no or very short bio, fake or no profile picture and so on
- They usually have no to very few posts
- They have a terribly high following to followers ratio
- They have very little user activity, except simply following a bunch of accounts (usually regularly)